Inspired by canned creamy chicken soup, this comfort food will surely shift your taste buds from the canned version to this homemade recipe. It is creamy and thick and most definitely tastes authentic due to its fresh and natural ingredients topped with fresh thyme and croutons.
Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
It is made with a few vegetables and chicken to make it more like the canned soup. It is the perfect comfort food recipe that will let you reminisce of your mother’s homemade creamy chicken soup, and probably the canned ones.
Although the croutons and thyme as garnished are optional, including these ingredients will enhance the taste and aroma of your creamy chicken soup:
- A tablespoon of olive oil.
- 50 grams per three and a half tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- A half cup per 75 grams of flour.
- A minced garlic clove.
- A half finely chopped small brown onion.
- A small diced carrot.
- A half finely chopped red capsicum/bell pepper.
- A small diced celery stick.
- Two cups per 500 ml of chicken stock/broth (low sodium recommended).
- Three cups per 750 ml of milk (any fat % will do).
- One-fourth teaspoon of garlic powder.
- One-fourth teaspoon of onion powder.
- A half teaspoon of salt.
- One-fourth teaspoon of dried thyme.
- One-fourth teaspoon of black pepper (spices).
- Three-fourth cup of frozen peas.
- A cup of cooked diced or shredded chicken.
- Two slices of diced white bread
- Olive oil spray
To successfully prepare and cook the creamy chicken soup, carefully follow the instructions below:
- Using a large pot, preheat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion in the pot and cook for about two minutes until partially translucent (not browned).
- Add in the celery, carrots, and capsicum.
- Cook for about one minute until softened.
- Add in the butter and let it melt.
- Add in the flour and mix well. Ensure to stir constantly for about one minute.
- Add the broth then mix until it’s well-blended with the flour.
- Add the milk and then mix again to combine everything.
- Add the salt, chicken, peas, and spices.
- Bring to simmer with occasional stirring to prevent food from sticking at the bottom. In about four to five minutes, the mixture will thicken as it heats. Do not let it bubble.
- When the mixture is thickened already, add in salt and pepper (depending on your preferred amount).
- After heating, place into bowls. Topped it with garnishes like fresh thyme and croutons if you like.
- For the croutons, spray it with olive oil, drizzle with salt, and then bake for at least five minutes over 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the crouton is crunchy and golden.
This creamy chicken soup may be inspired from the canned creamy chicken soup version, but it tastes much better and authentic. Also, if you desire to add more ingredients, then you can add such as noodles and rice.
You can also increase the number of vegetables and chicken to your liking. This creamy chicken soup recipe contains (per serving) 71% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 7.8% calcium, 12% iron, 19 g protein, 10% dietary fiber, 15% potassium, 10% carbohydrates, 19% sodium, 25% cholesterol, 34% total fat, and 395 calories.
See also: Homemade Fiesta Lime Chicken