Dutch Oven Lasagna – Can you imagine eating freshly baked lasagna on your camping and other outdoor trips? Probably this scenario is impossible before, especially with the lack of helpful equipment to prepare and cook one outside your kitchen. At present, with the availability of large and durable cooking pots, you can now do this on all your outdoor activities. In this recipe, you will learn how to make lasagna using a Dutch oven.
Dutch Oven Lasagna Recipe
Listed below are the ingredients of Dutch oven lasagna:
- A nine-ounce package of Barilla Oven Ready Lasagna noodles.
- A pound of Italian sweet fennel sausage.
- A half pound of ground beef.
- A half medium-sized diced yellow onion.
- Four cloves of minced garlic.
- Two 24-ounce jars of marinara sauce.
- A half cup of water.
- Four teaspoons of sugar.
- Two teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- A teaspoon of dried basil.
- Two and a half teaspoons of salt (this is for meat sauce.).
- A half teaspoon of black pepper.
- One-fourth cup of finely chopped parsley.
- Sixteen-ounce of ricotta cheese.
- A beaten egg.
- A teaspoon of salt (this is for ricotta mixture.).
- A pound of shredded mozzarella.
- A half cup of grated parmesan.
- Canola or olive oil.
Carefully follow the 11 steps below for the Dutch oven lasagna recipe:
- Put the beef and sausage together with the garlic and onion in a skillet on medium-high heat. Wait until the meat turns brown and the onion is soft.
- Add the sugar, salt, water, pepper, dried basil, marinara sauce, and Italian seasoning then seethe for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese together with the chopped parsley, egg, and one teaspoon of salt.
- Using a 12-inch Dutch oven, oil the inside lightly.
- In another pan, prepare the first layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread one-fourth of the meat mixture on the noodles, then one-fourth of the ricotta mixture, and lastly one-fourth of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles and then spread another meat, ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella mixtures on top. (Repeat this step until you make four layers.)
- In a chimney, prepare the Dutch oven then place about one-third out of 30 coal briquettes underneath it.
- Place and arrange the rest of the coal briquettes on the oven’s lid. Make sure to create a temperature of 375 degrees.
- Place the lasagna inside the oven and cook for 40 to 45 minutes. Also, every 15 minutes, rotate the oven and lid about one-fourth in opposite directions until well-cooked.
- Remove the lid. Before serving, let it cool for 10 minutes.
You can opt to prepare your recipe at home and just bake it during your camping trip or you can prepare everything when you’re on your camping site, depending on your mood. In this recipe, Barilla Oven Ready lasagna noodles would be the best choice as it is thin and easy to cook than the traditional lasagna noodles.
Also, if you want a quicker assembly process, you can make three instead of four layers of lasagna. Overall, even with little variations, this Dutch oven lasagna is guaranteed delicious and will definitely be one of your favorite adventure foods.
See also: Best Rotisserie Oven