These tasty treats are a terrific addition to any meal; not just breakfast – despite their name! They’re easy to make and are absolutely delicious. Crispy Breakfast Potatoes are great for side dishes or as a snack, eaten on their own. Your guests or family will be smacking their lips and asking for more.
Crispy Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
The seasoning of Crispy Breakfast Potatoes is very much according to personal taste, but you can’t go wrong with the most basic: Salt & pepper.
Some folks are happy to leave it at that. However, if you prefer something more adventurous, you could add sweet onion, thyme, parsley, rosemary, chives or cilantro. You could even try adding some bacon bits, especially if you’re eating them on their own. Delicious!
You can top these yummy treats with a sauce or dip of your choice. Which sauce, topping or dip, is entirely up to you. So, what will you need for these super-tasty treats?
- 1½ pounds potatoes, peeled.
- 1 tablespoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar.
- 3 separate tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 1 small diced onion.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste.
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly minced thyme.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, parsley, or chives (or a combination of all three).
- Fill a large saucepan with water and add a tablespoon of salt. Add the potatoes and bring to the boil, stirring well occasionally. They should be just fork-tender in about five minutes. Don’t overcook them, you don’t want them falling apart.
- Pour off the water and allow the potatoes to cool, before cutting them into quarters. Add one tablespoon of oil and stir together well, until they’re well coated.
- In a separate skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat and add the diced onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions are translucent and tender. Remove from the heat and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Heat the oil and butter over medium to high heat. When the mix is nice and hot, add the potatoes. Add salt and pepper and fry, stirring gently until the potatoes are a crispy golden brown. This usually takes about six minutes
- Add your choice of other herbs/seasonings to the potatoes; mix in well, adding seasoning to taste. Serve while still hot and crispy…