When making a dish that includes chicken bouillon you will get a strong chicken and vegetable flavor. But, if you are looking or a chicken bouillon substitute you will have to create a unique balance which will mimic the main ingredient or change the overall taste of the main dish. Anyway, we will mention some of the best chicken bouillon substitutes ever made.
Conventional Chicken Bouillon Substitute
If you are looking for the best and the safest substitute, you should use the canned chicken stock. It is the best substitute simply because it has the same taste. However, tiny differences regarding the saltiness and deeper flavor are noticed. Some people even believe that this is a better ingredient to use than the actual chicken bouillon. We will leave you to understand this all by yourself.
Here we can see two alternatives. You can get canned chicken stock, which is less rich in flavors than the one you will make all by yourself. Keep in mind that you will need at least 2 hours if you decide to follow our recipe.
- The first thing to do is to chop the vegetables and the chicken into tiny pieces.
- Add dried thyme, pepper and bay leaf (crushed).
- Add cold water and let it on the heat for 30 minutes.
- Let is strain and you are done. Keep in mind that you should use the same amount of this ingredient as water included in your recipe.
The substituted we have below are unconventional, meaning that you won’t get a rich flavor but you may get a rich background taste of the included ingredient. There are a few possibilities and you are welcomed to try them all.
- Cooked brown sugar. This is the most appealing and the most interesting unconventional substitute. You will have to add one tablespoon and you will get a sweeter taste after all. Of course, it will change the color of the sauce or a stew. Those coloring agents you can get in a grocery store won’t do the same thing.
- Beef bouillon. There is no need in telling you that this will add beef flavor to the equation. Keep in mind that it is mandatory to replace 1 cube of chicken bouillon with half a cube of beef bouillon. This substitute is preferable when it comes to soups, stews, and sauces.
- Dashi. This ingredient comes from Japan and it is a great substitute. You will have to remember that it adds meaty flavor and it is the most appealing replacement for them all if you are looking for something different. You can make dashi all by yourself at home. It takes 30 minutes.
All you have to do is to choose the chicken bouillon substitute that looks like the best choice for you. We liked all of them, but you may have a different opinion. At the end of a day, you will get the same dish, with slightly changed or exactly the same flavor. It is up to you.