Healthy Cauliflower Fritters – This has to be one of the most creative ways to prepare cauliflower, it’s delicious and low in carbohydrates. Even the kids will love them, although they tell you they don’t like cauliflower! These yummy fritters make a terrific side to any meal!
Cauliflower Fritters Recipe
This recipe offers a healthier, lighter option to potato fritters or pancakes, so without further ado, let’s get to it:
- 6 cups of roughly chopped, raw cauliflower.
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic.
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of grated Pecorino Romano (goat’s milk will do if you can’t find this).
- ¼ cup of finely chopped parsley.
- ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- One third cup of hot water.
- 4 teaspoons Olive Oil.
- Steam the cauliflower until tender, over medium heat, in 2½ cups of water. It should take 5-6 minutes for it to be steamed to perfection. Drain the hot water, then rinse under cold running water. This will halt the cooking process and prevent the cauliflower from going soggy.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces; measure out six cups.
- Add cauliflower, flour, garlic, eggs, parsley, grated cheese and salt & pepper together in a large bowl. Add hot water gradually, to make the consistency similar to pancake batter.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to a non-stick skillet, and heat at a low to medium temperature.
- Measure into a roughly quarter cup portions and form the fritters with your fingers, then place them into the preheated skillet. A 12-inch skillet should do four fritters at a time.
- Cook for about 2½ to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown on both sides.
- Keep going until you have used all the batter, then serve as a healthy, tasty side with any meal!
See also: Brocolli vs. Cauliflower