All of you will agree that steaks are the best type of a meal that can come from a grill. They are delicious, there is a lot of possibilities to explore and they offer plenty of nutrition. Now we will reveal what the best way to cook New York strip steaks is. As you may believe, there are a lot of methods out there, so let’s start discussing them and finding the best one.
Buy a steak
Of course, the first step is to purchase a steak. The main concern here is in the fact not all steaks are the same. According to the USDA, there are 3 main rating levels. They are prime, choice and select.
There is no need in telling you that prime and select are the best choices. The last one is decent as well, but if you are still interested in finding the best way to cook New York strip steaks you have to choose one of the first two.
In general, you will have to look for two things. The first one is color. You need the bright red color of a steak. The second one is marbling. This can be described as tiny freckles all around the steak. It is a good thing, despite the fact it may look different.
Before you place a steak on a grill, you will have to prepare it. These are simple processes that can make a huge difference. As a matter of fact, we will cover, 2 the most popular ones.
- Using marinades – Using marinades is the most common and the most appealing way to add additional flavors to a steak. They are also known as the best, regional way to add the mentioned flavor. Keep in mind that exposing the steak to wine or soya sauce for a long period of time can affect the texture and will have a negative effect.
- Rubs – They are the second best way to add flavor to the steak. Luckily, they don’t affect the texture and there are a lot of them. See also: Best Brisket Rubs
Here we must point out that the fat of the steak should be left during the cooking process. It will add more flavors and protect the texture. But, remove it after the steak is cooked.
Best Way To Cook New York Strip Steaks
There are a lot of different ways to cook this steak, but at the end of a day, it all comes to the three main ones. They are grilling, broiling and pan frying. Of course, we will mention and explain all three.
Before we actually start, you will have to understand that the juices in a steak are precious and they must be kept inside a steak at all times. This also means that you will have to avoid piercing the steak. Use a thermometer on a side of a steak and try to determine the temperature without it, if that is possible. All professionals use their finger to determine the temperature and now you know why.
You will want to oil the grates on a grill and to preheat them. Make sure the heat is correct. To check that, place your hands above the grates. If you feel uncomfortable after 3-4 seconds, the heat is just right. If you use a charcoal grill, make sure that the charcoal is gray and hot. Now, follow the steps.
- It is absolutely important to leave a steak for 45 minutes on a kitchen countertop so it will reach a room temperature. Never place the steak directly from a freezer to a grill.
- Grill each side for 4 minutes and enjoy the odor.
If you don’t have access to a grill, you will have to broil the steak. Anyway, all you have to do is to follow these steps.
- Set an oven to medium-high and place the rack 6 inches away from the heating element.
- The grilling pan must be preheated. Keep in mind that it will be very hot.
- Rub hot oil all over the steak and season it on both sides. Take your time with this step.
- Place the steak in the oven. It must be away from the heating element or it will catch fire!
- Use tongs to flip it over in intervals between 3 and 5 minutes. This will depend on the thickness of a steak.
Using a pan
This process is slightly different and it is more complicated as well. As a matter of fact, you will have to use a pan for searing the meat and an oven to complete the process.
- The first step is to heat the skillet. It must be so hot that a drop of water will perish in a second.
- After a steak has reached at room temperature, rub it with the hot oil. There is no need to rub the skillet with the oil.
- Decrease the heat of a skillet to medium.
- Now transfer the steak to the pan. Make sure not to pierce the meat.
- Cook the steak between 2 and 4 minutes on each side.
- The total cooking time should be 5 minutes. After that, you will have to move the steak to the oven, which is preheated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You will need 5 minutes in order to complete this process.
During this method, it is impeccable not to open the oven or interfere with the cooking process in any other way. You want the meat to get the best flavor and leaving it ‘’alone’’ during the process is the best way to do that.
The best way to cook New York strip steaks is the one you like the most. We have mentioned several methods that can be very useful. At the end of a day, it is up to you to choose the most preferable one. Try to remember that all of them will provide you a great and delicious meal which will impress your guests.