Berkey Water Filter Reviews – Berkey water filters are one of the most reliable filtration systems that have been widely used all across the globe. From developed countries to disaster-stricken third-world countries. They’ve been the go-to filtration system used by relief and missionary organizations including UNICEF, Red Cross, etc.
Due to their remarkable effectiveness in treating water in heavily intoxicated environments where water contamination occurs in alarming degrees. They’re also renowned among the people in advanced countries looking for cheaper and more eco-friendly ways to obtain clean drinking water.
Berkey Water Filter Reviews – Top 5 Models
This article shows Berkey water filter reviews of 5 different Berkey units. All the Berkey units reviewed here come with a capacity of producing at least 3,000 gallons of clean water, as well as a minimum 6-months warranty. This makes all the models cost-effective and prudent choices. So be sure to check this Berkey water filter reviews.
#1. Imperial Berkey
Geared Towards Usages in Emergencies and Small-Group
With a 10” diameter, a height of 26”, and weighing just 10 lbs when fully assembled, the Imperial Berkey comes with an ample capacity to serve 4-8 people on a regular basis. The Imperial Berkey system is geared towards mid to large-sized families, and small groups. It’s also ideal for emergency situations and disaster-relief programs.
2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, Expandable to 6
It has 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, plus provisions for expanding the elements to 6. These also include fluorine and arsenic purification elements. And all these are assembled in a configuration which produces up to 5.5 gallons of potable water per hour. With a maximum of 6 purification elements, the model produces up to 16.5 gallons of potable water.
Upper and lower stainless steel chambers
The system comes with an upper and lower stainless steel chamber. It is made with an elegantly polished AISI stainless steel. It also features a stainless steel lid, and a rubber gasket to protect the base from wears.
- Cost-effective -- produces potable water for a few cents per gallon.
- Can be assembled within minutes without tools or technical knowledge.
- Provides a lasting solution, being capable of generating up to 3,000 gallons of clean water, with a high-grade, corrosion-resistant stainless-steel makeup.
- Being light-weight and using a gravity-fed system, it makes for great convenience.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Lacks the capability to remove salt.
- Could come off as being bulky.
#2. Crown Berkey
An Impressive Stock Of Purification Elements
In this Berkey water filter reviews, we’ll show why the Crown Berkey beats other systems when it comes to removing contaminants such as heavy metal ions, fluoride and various types of arsenic.
Crown Berkey comes with 2 Black Berkey purification elements, which can be expanded to 8. In addition to the purification element, it also comes with fluorine filters. With this arsenal of purification elements, the Crown Berkey effectively frees water from biological contaminants.
Such as harmful bacteria, cyst, and parasites; chemical contaminants such as pesticides, organic solvents, and herbicides. As well as toxic substances such as mercury, lead, fluorine, arsenic, nitrites, etc.
Capacity To Serve Large-Size Groups and Emergency Relief Programs
Measuring 30” in height and 11” in diameter when fully assembled, Crown Berkey comes with a storage capacity of approximately 6 gallons. Its production capacity is more than 6.5 gallons of potable water per hour.
Hence, the system is geared towards mid to large group sizes and is therefore suitable for use in hospitals, churches, large households, and disaster-relief programs.
- Highly effective in treating water from water sources such as ponds, water logs, streams, and sub-par water supplies.
- Ideal for outdoor activities and environments that lack treated water and electricity.
- Can effectively eliminate food coloring from water.
- It retains beneficial minerals and trace elements in purified water.
- Made with a splendidly polished 304 stainless steel, and also sports a stainless steel lid.
- Can be a bit complicated to assemble.
- May require the purchase of additional parts such as plugs and filters to become fully functional.
#3. Berkey Royal
Powerful Filtration System
With an airtight filtration system that is the hallmark of Berkey, this is another great Berkey system that’s highly effective in converting water from sources such as lakes, ponds, and other water bodies into fresh, potable drinking water.
It has 2 Black Berkey purification elements, with provisions for adding 2 extra purification elements. It also comes with 2 fluorine purification elements. However, you may need to prime the fluorine filters multiple times in order to put them in optimal condition.
The filtration system has a 4 gallons-per hour potable water production capacity. When configured with 2 Black Berkey purification elements, and 8 gallons per hour when configured with 4 Black Berkey elements. Its total capacity for holding water comes in at 3.25 gallons.
A Kitchen Decor That’s Easy To Set Up
Made with an elegantly polished 304 stainless steel, Berkey Royal can help spruce up your kitchen counter. Also, the Berkey Royal comes with a manual that provides a quick, easy-to-follow guide for assembling the filtration system.
You’ll be able to set up the system on your kitchen stand easily, and then sit back in a cool setting and enjoy the refreshing, pure drinking water which that filtration system generates without the use of electricity or water pressure.
- Produces clean, fresh drinking water, without imbuing the water with a detectable metallic after-taste.
- Removes toxic minerals without filtering out beneficial minerals from the purified water.
- Ideal for areas where electricity and water pressure are not available.
- Ideal for use in areas where the quality of water supply is substandard.
- The bottom of the filter may harbor rusts after a few years of use.
- There have been numerous complaints of leaks in the fully assembled system.
#4. Big Berkey
Top-Draw Water Purification System
As we’ve seen so far in the Berkey water filter reviews above, Berkey purifier systems are the most effective filtration systems out there in the market today. The Big Berkey model is no exception.
With 2 Black Berkey and 2 fluorine purification elements, Berkey big has proved its capability to eliminate 100% pathogens and chemical contaminants from unclean water in numerous tests. It’s proved to thoroughly eliminate biological contaminants such as cysts, parasites, and harmful bacteria, as well as other contaminants such as pesticides, an organic solvent, etc.
The fluorine filters, which can eliminate over 95% of fluorine in unclean water, has a shelf-life of 1000 gallons, and the purifiers come with a lifespan of over 3,000 gallons.
Mid-Group Size Storage Capacity
Big Berkey sports a storage capacity of 2.25 gallons. It measures 19.5” in height and 8.5” in diameter when coupled completely. The Big Berkey system is therefore geared toward small mid-sized families, outdoor activities, travels, and emergency situations.
- Highly effective in purifying water from unclean sources such as lakes, ponds, streams, and other water bodies.
- Ideal for use in areas that lack electricity, water pressure, and standard water supply.
- Removes food coloring from water effectively.
- Does not remove beneficial minerals from the purified water.
- Comes with a splendid high-grade 304 stainless steel body and a stainless steel lid
- You may need to prime the fluorine filters multiple times to put it in optimal condition.
- Filtration speed may slow down after some months of usage.
#5. Travel Berkey
Airtight Water Purification Elements
Created and warranted by an American company, Travel Berkey boasts of eliminating bacterial and chemical contaminants from unclean water. Including water obtained from streams, lakes and other water bodies. Its operations do not require electricity or water pressure.
Travel Berkey comes with 2 Black Berkey purification elements and 2 fluorine filters. With these elements, the purification system rids unclean water of pathogenic bacteria, parasites, heavy metal ions, toxic minerals, and other contaminants.
It operates with a gravity-fed system. So all you need to do is to fill up the upper chamber with water, and you’re good to go without needing electricity or water pressure.
Portable Form Factor
Travel Berkey comes with a brilliant stainless steel body that sports a portable 1.5-gallon holding capacity. It has a 2.5 gallon per hour clean water production capacity which can serve 1-3 people on a regular basis.
With such compact capacities, this model is ideal for camping, outdoor activities, and trips. But despite its compactness, it still operates with the same efficiency as the other models in this Berkey water filter reviews.
- As effective as all other Berkey filtration systems in the purification of water sourced from unclean sources such as water bodies and substandard water supply.
- Ideal for use in small apartments with limited space.
- Can easily fit into a backpack.
- Surpassed NSF/ANSI Standard 53 in tested administered by state and EPA accredited laboratories.
- It might prove difficult to assemble.
- There have been numerous complaints about leakages in the units.
With highly effective, nature-based processes, the Berkey filtration systems effectively convert water from nearly every outside source including streams, ponds, and other water bodies into potable drinking water. The systems do not require electricity or water pressure to work. They’re turn-key systems which do not require any form of technical knowledge to work.
You need only follow the manual instructions for assembling them, and then fill the upper chamber with water, and let the systems use their gravity-fed processes to generate clean, potable water instantaneously. That’s all for Berkey water filter reviews today.
See also: Best Countertop Water Filter Systems